Sunday 1 July 2007

vis à vis 2007

A big fest has been taking place these past two days to celebrate the inauguration of what is the world's longest pedestrian bridge of its kind across the Rhine from Weil to Huningue (see my Schwingungsmessung post last January). With attractions and entertainment on both sides of the river, it's probably the biggest combined fest ever in this neck of the woods.

I ventured over at midday today to have a look, and I liked what I saw. The fact that it's now possible to walk or cycle over to France is something that will probably be taken for granted in future, but building such a bridge in the first place took many years of planning, and such a celebration is more than justified. Don't worry, I'm not going to get all eurofriendly now and start gushing tripe about common borders, blah blah blah, but it is a pretty momentous event for Weil. I, for one, will continue to use the bridge in future as a means of cycling to the cricket pitch in Allschwil on the outskirts of Basel by the French border. The bridge itself is also very elegant, and I doff my proverbial cap to the architects who designed it. And to the people who designed this poster, for that matter.

































The photo on the right is of the Place Abbatucci in Huningue at noon today.

No comments: