Saturday 20 January 2007

Cricket

Yes, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Went to Basel Cricket Club's weekly indoor training session this week for the first ever time. Was toying with the idea for a good while, but always lacked will-power due to it being on a Friday night. However, since the summer, when I injured the meniscus on my right knee for the upteenth time playing football, I'd been seriously considering giving the Beautiful Game up and trying my hand at something else. Last night was now the moment I may have kissed my promising career goodbye as a midfield fantaisiste who can play the killer through-ball yet also lobs "hand grenades" à la Paul Scholes (and even tracks back to help out his defence).

It dawned on me over the last few months that the meniscus problem is terminal if I carry on with football - a weak spot that I've had ever since I badly jarred that area in a 50:50 tackle back in the late 90s. Sad to say, but footy has probably run it's course with me. I now want to try out a different sport, and cricket is that sport.

Last night was fun. There were about a dozen of us who turned up at the school gym hall, and we played quick limited-overs games with five fielders plus the bowler of course. Being indoors, the rules were somewhat improvised. For example, if you hit the ball on to the gym wall at the back it was six runs. If you hit the wall on the sides, it was two runs... or maybe four - I can't quite remember! I bowled a couple of overs, and apart from a freak first delivery, I think I did ok.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to training again next week.

No comments: